Thursday, January 31, 2008

Baggage claim and reality check...

Why is it that traveling brings clarity for me? I am enamored with flying and found myself settled in on the airplane with a plethora of thoughts racing around in my head. I opted to journal my thoughts in my little notebook and then transfer them here later. Later is now as I was too tired last night and we have been too busy for me to do it before now. SO, here goes!

I was DEFYING GRAVITY tonight and it was incredible!! The view from the plane was breathtaking... big, white, puffy clouds and we were above them! I have seen this many times, but for some reason tonight felt different. As I stared out at this bed of softness, I felt my shoulders relax, my chest was calm and I was at peace. I was lost in space.

I have learned that I really do love to fly. Before TCC (my scrapbooking group of gal pals), I never had much reason to fly, but I have been blessed to visit different friends that live in other states and fly quite a bit over the years. I like that I know my own airport so well and that it doesn't bother me to go there. I like the anonymity of the airport... I could be anybody. I like watching people and trying to sort out who they are and why they are flying to their destination. I love being high above the world below, spotting swimming pools and baseball diamonds.

There is a freedom in flying that suits me. I am off to an adventure. I am a stranger to everyone unless I choose to engage in conversation. I am unavailable to everyone while the plane is in the air and I can choose to do anything I want or nothing at all.

There is an element of risk that intrigues me and makes me think. Will I arrive safely? Will I make it home? Morbid as that sounds, it fascinates me that a simple flight can prompt me to take stock in my life. I sit and reflect on things from way back in my life as well as counting my blessings. It is a great way to "wake up" just a little bit and perhaps reprioritize things.

As we prepare to land in Reno, I gaze out the window at the sunset. The clouds are now dark, brooding and mysterious. They reach out as far as I can see until they meet the vibrant hues of red and orange that make the sunset. The Captain has announced that it is 30 degrees and snowing as we land. Sure enough, I can see snow flurries rushing past my window at an angle. I can't wait to arrive and experience that.

The storm is hitting hard enough that the plane drops out of the air more than once. I quickly opt to think about something else... I wonder if it will be a problem that I didn't bring a winter coat? I am from Cali after all. What do I know about true winter weather? Perhaps the first part of our journey will include some shopping? Time will tell. Finally, we have landed, I have met a super nice man that was sitting in my row and I am now off to get my luggage and meet my twin. I can't wait to see her! Although our families were together in September, it has been a long time since we have had our "face time". This will be good.


Solitude - something I don't get enough of. I need to make time for it, the stillness and quiet restore me. I have learned how to just sit, listen and be, but life in 2007 did not accomodate that. Perhaps 2008 should.

Breathe - a necessity for my sanity and survival. Drue reminds me to breathe all the time, 3 slow, deep breaths. I have done this more and more lately and it really helps. Now to make it a common practice. I also love taking "30 seconds of silence". Just the smallest break can bring calm.

Consciousness - be aware of my stresses and pressures. When I realize that I uptight, I must gain perspective and regroup. After that, I can either tackle the problem or choose to let it go.

Just random thoughts for me to reflect on here at my blogging place. I hope someone else might get some use out of them too. Lord knows we all could use tools and strategies for living well.

Now to blog about the last 2 days with Shauna!! It is 2:44 a.m., so it will have to wait. I tell ya, that girl is a bad influence on me! She stays up so late. lol She will try to blame me, but don't believe it... I am in bed at 11:30 these days, ask Scott!

Shanna

2 comments:

Paris said...

I wished that I liked to fly... I usually need a stiff drink before I can get the courage to step on the plane. LOL Shauna can get caught up on her sleep when I get there... we all know that I turn into a pumpkin at 10:30 ;) Did you ever find a warm coat? Stay warm and have fun. Love, p

Team Immel said...

ok, so i went to bed 45 min. before you. so who's the bad influence? and why did we go to burlington coat factory where i bought things i will take back? um...only because you needed a coat. lol so don't go blaming me missy! in this twin thing, i'm the angel. you're the bad twin! LOL :)
love ya.
had fun yesterday.
xoxo
si