Ah, painted ladies... I truly love having the opportunity to host these incredibly beautiful creatures each year. Yes, I could order them all year long, but for some reason, I feel compelled to have them in the spring or summer. The company that sells them has a package deal where you can order hundreds of them for a wedding. I would have so had them at my wedding if I had known! Not to be too dark, but I want them at my funeral. Wouldn't it be cool to release hundreds of butterflies into the sky to come and see me? Life has been filled with some real moments of beauty lately... there are gorgeous flowers blooming around me, the skies have been overcast and the weather cool on recent mornings which makes me deliriously happy (I HATE heat!), my son has been thoroughly enjoying his summer and smiling often, and I have had the opportunity to see many great friends lately. Caprice called and we met for dinner, I happened upon Tracy at Bean Town last weekend, I met Melanie for lunch today, I saw Annette at the library last week, Alice and I connected on Monday, I got to see my dad briefly on Saturday before attending a grad party that both Caprice and her hubby attended, as well. THAT was an awesome surprise! Scott and I thoroughly enjoyed the party and I was so happy for my friend, Kathy, who has graduated with her MA! I have been getting to know Maria and she is great! We got to see Eva and her kids last night and I had lunch with Mimi last week too! I tell ya, this has been a very social few weeks. No wonder I am in a good mood! lol As you all know, I am very social. *wink*
Now on to the rock 'n rolling of Cali's earthquake. We are about 20 miles from the epicenter and we certainly did feel it. Nothing like standing on a very thick concrete slab in a huge warehouse and realizing that the slab is actually rolling under your feet! 'Uh, I'm sorry... what? Concrete moves? I don't think so!' Well, during an earthquake it does. Sheesh, it was wild! and long! Chris handled it beautifully, as it was his first really big quake. He was a little shaken at first, but cruised along as he does. Love that kid. Thankfully, there hasn't been much damage or any injuries that I know of.
Scott is doing amazing work on our back deck and I am LOVING spending summer afternoons out there with him as he works. My beach chair comes out and we visit under the shade of the trees. I will have to take some pics soon and share them. My hubby is so talented and such a craftsman. We have a great house already, but after he is finished with it, it will be incredible.
Baseball camp ended 2 weeks ago and summer school ends this week. Chris volunteered to help out at another baseball camp last week after his summer school classes and did a great job. We are so fortunate that our friend, Dave, offers Chris the chance to help out. He learns so much by working with other kids, especially younger ones. He is now interested and pursuing a "Leader in Training" position at a sports camp next week. It might be too late for him to apply and be accepted, but we shall see. His application draft is done, so we will finalize it and get it faxed off tomorrow. *fingers crossed* After next week, Chris will attend his own baseball camp with Dave. That will be a week of hard work since he is the student, not the helper.
I will sign off in memory of my friend, Reva, who died suddenly on July 15th. We went to high school together and we stayed connected through her job at Staples. She was only 42, so this has been a huge shock to her entire family. The cause of death is still a complete mystery, so I pray that answers will be found eventually. Prayers go out to her family, as well. Reva's smile and gentle way will be missed by all.
Have a great one, everybody!
Shanna
4 comments:
You have been quite the social butterfly, my friend. Good for you! So glad that you all survived the quake... scary stuff. So sorry to hear about your friend passing away. My heart goes out to her loved ones. Miss you lots.
i'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. big ucla hugs going out to you and yours. xoxoxoxo
can i steal the butterfly idea? how cool to have something like that at your wedding! i want to ride with the butterflies at my funeral too, so please remind my husband if the time comes!
i bet your house is just gorgeous! your hubby is quite the talented one! i can't wait to see his handy work!!
and great for chris! so proud of him!!
xxxoxo
shauna
Beautiful butterfly!!
Hey, just 3 days before the earthquake, I was on a field trip to the San Andreas Fault. While standing on the fault, we joked about an earthquake. My teacher even predicted one. LOL We felt it hard up here. I also felt the one in the early morning that was centered in Barstow. Scarey thing is that if the San Andreas shakes, it'll move the fwy about 20 feet. The high desert will be disconnected to the rest of Los Angeles for quite sometime. I told Jim it's high time we move out of state. LOL
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Hope her family gets answers soon so they have a bit of closer.
Miss you girl. Can't wait till we meet up again. I need it. I'm drownig in school work, work work, housework and every other kind of work.
I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. Have they determined what was the cause yet? That's just way too young!
Big hugs!!!
Post a Comment