Saturday, June 14, 2008

Are ya ready??

I have FINALLY been able to get some pics uploaded and can share them with you all! This is a long overdue post and a newsy one, so bear with me......

On April 6th, 2008, I did (what I considered to be) the unthinkable! I actually walked a 5k!!! You see, all my life, I have looked for the shortest distance between 2 points. It didn't matter if it was between the couch and the fridge or my parking spot and the store. I just hated walking or having to go very far. I, literally, can remember thinking that I would rather not join my friends at Disneyland or Magic Mtn. because it was just too much walking. I liked Universal Studios and the Zoo because you could ride the tram. Now, I welcome the challenge to go farther and somewhat faster. I realize that 5k is not monumental to most, but to me, it is a huge accomplishment, as well as, a wonderful sign of change.




***This car is for ME!! OMG, you should have seen it!!***

I went down to Carlsbad by myself on the Friday, even stopping for a quick visit with my sis-in-law, bro-in-law, and nephew. It was a glorious day with incredible spring weather and my hotel was right on the beach! When Scott and I went down last year, we discovered the most wonderful pizza, and although my eating is healthier, I am still a gal that looks forward to favorite foods when I have the chance! Sure enough, right after my arrival, I headed over for a slice of pesto, olive, goat cheese white pizza! Sadly, it was a special at St. Pat's Day and not available when I got there, but I was assured by Tommy (the creator of this heavenly pizza) that he would make me one of my very own if I wanted it! lol I suggested we wait until the next day as I was too starved to wait. After a great conversation with Tommy (love making new friends!) and a bite to eat, I was on my way to SHOP! Mervyns (new earrings, necklace and black bra), Kinkos (resize photos of "my heroes"), Michaels (buy do-it-yourself photo buttons), and Trader Joe's (healthy snacks for the room). I headed to my room and relaxed, watched ANY show that I wanted to, and put together photo buttons of my heroes.

Went for an evening walked later on, got a sandwich for dinner, and thoroughly enjoyed more down time in my room, on the big bed all by myself, again, watching any show I wanted to on TV! I was so surprised to find the episode of "My Life as a Soccer Mom" that I was on! What a great treat that was considering I wasn't sure when it would air. We taped that in early December. After a so so night of sleep, I grabbed a bite at the continental breakfast and enjoyed the last few hours of my alone time. My guys were on the train after Chris's baseball game and would arrive at 2. It was such a great idea to have them take the train so we could all drive home together after the 5k. (Thanks Aimee for taking them to the station!)



When the guys arrived, they were pretty tired. Although we all enjoyed walking around and shopping for the next few hours, there was a fair amount of 'exhaustion tension'. Sadly, none of us were particularly patient with one another, but we did manage to stop in and see Tommy for some yummy pizza! Ahhhhh.......... yes, heaven! It was even better than I remembered it. Incredible! We all headed back to the room and the boys were so content to just chill. In fact, none of us really wanted to have to leave and find dinner later on, but we did anyway. A night of sleep and up in the a.m. for my 5k!

Dressed in black exercise pants, my tshirt from www.myfooddiary.com, and with my HEROES on my back, I was off to register. Quick digression... as most of you know, the weight loss and healthy changes in my life are all due to a promise that I made to Holly before she passed away. I credit her and thank her for giving me cause to do all of this and I could not walk that 5k without her. In addition, my life has been blessed by some other really wonderful people that are also showing cancer a thing or two. Hopefully they know that I have their back, and that day, I wanted them to have mine. As such, I created a button for those that inspire me to live my best life and appreciate all that I have... my family, Shauna (2 year cancer survivor of unknown primary), Leela (2 time thyroid cancer survivor) and Holly.




At registration, I was given a bib and a chip. I didn't even know what these things were before that day! "A bib!! Oh, I've seen this before on those marathon folks!" I now have one... #8865, that's me. :o) The chip goes on your shoe and as you cross both the START line and the FINISH line, it marks your time. Amazing! Now to figure out how to secure the darn bib and chip to my shirt and shoe! lol Fortunately, I sorted it out eventually and I was off. I walked at the back of the pack, but really wanted to be ahead of the wheelchairs, elderly, pregnant women, and stroller brigade, so I ran a bit here and there until I made it to the mainstream. Our course went right along the ocean for a good while until we U-turned and headed into downtown. My guys were able to catch up with me and even came into the street to walk with me for awhile. Before long, I was turning the corner to the finish line and crossed at 1 hour, 5 minutes! I did it!!! :o)





Tired, but no worse for wear, we had a small photo shoot and headed over to the Fitness Expo. I picked up my participant tshirt and pin, shopped a bit, and then we headed off for a celebratory and much needed lunch. On our way out of town, we stopped at the beach. As I relaxed in my chair, I watched my guys run around chasing one another and throw wet sand at one another. Chris was trying faithfully to antagonize his dad, but only until Scott grabbed Chris, lifted him over his shoulders and dropped him into the ocean! Hmmm, I can't say that I have ever seen my husband bench press a 13 year old. lol Fun!!!




I was glad to be home, very relieved to lay down, and ready for next year! Wanna come with me? All are welcome!

Shanna



"The victory is not how you finish, it is showing up."

11 comments:

Nightscrapper said...

Very cool Shanna! I'm glad you finally posted pics. I was looking forward to them back in ummm, March??? LOL

Hey, I'll do it with you next year. Would be fun. Gives me a reason to train, like NOW!!

Paris said...

So proud of you, Shanna! Way to go. Thanks for sharing your experience and the pics. Awesome, girlie!!

Love, p

Team Immel said...

I am so proud of you, so glad to see you back among the posting and so honored to be on your back as one of your heroes! it brings tears to my eyes!!! what a great experience. you look fabulous. you look happy and you look healthy. you are doing so well. you go girl!!!!

my favorite photo of you ever probably is the one of you (crossing the finish line?) with both hands in the air, triumphant!!!!!!

thanks for the long, detailed post, i felt like i was there with you (besides being on your back lol)

xoxox
shauna

Angie said...

what a great accomplishment!
You go girl.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Shanna,you look great. I would love to do this with you next year. I have been on a new health and exercise routine too.

Michelle

ali said...

CONGRATS Shanna that is AWESOME!! You should be very proud of yourself! Oh,and by the way...that pizza sounds DELISH! LOL!

nic said...

if you didn't chose to do this in the States I'd be there too! TOO cool and I'm proud!!! It looks fun - well done and I love the pics!

nic

laura said...

shanna - that is an amazing accomplishment! i'm so proud of you!! :) congratulations on your big day!

Faye said...

Great job Shanna!! Way to go you, I'm proud of you. Doesn't it feel great to cross the finish line. love all the pix. someone must have been a busy cameraman while you were doing all the sweaty stuff. That Pizza doesn't look half bad either. :-)

Kaileysmom said...

That yummy pizza looks a little on the large size, doesn't it? lol CONGRATULATIONS on completing your first 5K It is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment, isn't it? Your awesome, keep on trucking! lol

Anonymous said...

You're a total rock star!!! Love catching up on your life and I'm so proud of all the good things you've done for yourself. Love you!

Heidi