Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A time to reflect...

It was a year ago today that my mom was admitted into the hospital and our lives took a dramatic turn. I made a promise to her that day that if she would take my hand and trust me, her life would look much different within 1 year. I can still remember the overwhelming fear as those words crossed my lips, not truly sure that I could keep that promise, but knowing that ANYTHING had to be better than that day. I had not a clue, at that time, just how bad things would get, but I knew that we would get there, somehow.

I sit here 1 year later, happy to report that my mom is living her best life. She is doing the very thing that I was and am on the path to do. She is happily married, loves where she lives, has watchful and caring doctors looking out for her, is debt free, and is surrounded by family (grandbaby count = 9) that loves her. She has her antique sewing machine out and is quilting the days away. She cooks all the time instead of eating out, which means she is feeding her body healthy food and her diabetes is in check.

Ironically, I took her to the Social Security office today so that we could apply for her retirement benefits. She has worked so hard for so many years and it is nice to see that she will see a return for her efforts. The additional income will mean that I no longer have to support she and my stepdad and they can start repaying their debt to us. I have no regret about the support we have offered them, but this really comes at a good time for us.

God has seen me through every step of this and my faith has been made so much richer because of it. I learned to trust Him, to be quiet and listen to Him, and to get out of the way so that His work could be done. Those are such gifts to me and without these trials, I would not have learned them. Given the choice, none of this would have happened, but I can atleast recognize the blessings that have come.

Thank you to everyone that has supported us through the year. Today is a bit surreal as I sort through a ton of memories. I am completely unfocused on real life, so I am going to head home and take my hubby out to dinner. He deserves far more than a free meal for all that he has endured and supported me through. He and Chris have been incredible.

Hugs to all. Embrace those that you love and be grateful to have them.

Shanna

3 comments:

Nightscrapper said...

I'm so glad that your mom is doing much better. I'm sure it's a huge relief for you. I'm sure she is so grateful to your undying love. Glad that you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Hugs!

Team Immel said...

it's amazing how gifts come in the most unlikely forms eh?

i'm so glad you are all doing better after 1 year. i'm proud of you for hanging in there and handling this all with such grace. i wish i could have been there for you more when you needed someone.

know that i am always here for you, regardless of the fact that i have cancer.

love ya.
xoxo
shauna

Paris said...

What a year it has been for you... what does not kill you makes you stronger, right? LOL Thank you for being my friend, and please know that I'm always here for you too. Love, p