Friday, February 15, 2008

Yes, but I am his FIRST Valentine!

So I knew that times were going to change as Chris got older, I just didn't realize that he would mature so soon. You see, there is a new Valentine in town. My sweet, generous, loving little boy, has his first official girlfriend and she was the object of his attention today. Don't get me wrong, I am delighted that he is growing up and experiencing this time in his life. It is such a treat to watch, as he is kind, considerate, unassuming and sweet.

Chris asked her out on my birthday last month (can you say, timing?) and they have unfortunately not been able to see much of each other since. He has been swamped with school work and baseball, and then got sick! They did go to the movies with another friend last weekend and they are hoping to connect this weekend. I hope they do as he picked out the cutest teddy bear and card for her for Valentine's Day.

It was V-Day Eve and he mentioned that he needed to go shopping for Valentine's Day. I ponder half a second that he might be buying something for me and then I realize, "Nope, there is a new Valentine in town." lol We ended going on V-Day and the store was crowded, so it was slightly overwhelming. Chris was cool though and cruised through the card section without hesitation. I helped him pick out an appropriate card and we were off to the stuffed animals. He found this wonderfully soft, foot-tall teddy bear. Very cute. They offered free gift wrapping, so between the she and I, we secured "Teddy" in heart covered cellophane. A few red ribbons and a bow and we were off! I managed to coerce him into this shot before we headed home and I told him that I appreciated that he let me take him. It is really fun to be involved in this part of his life.

When we arrived home, Chris disappeared into his room instantly. He emerged long enough to place "Teddy" and the card near the door, ready for delivery. Scott and I headed out for dinner at Black Angus and he took me shopping for jewelry at Mervyns. I couldn't believe he wanted to go shopping WITH me! lol He was excited about being a part of the purchase, so he didn't mind. I didn't find what I was looking for, but I still managed to come home with 5 new tops and a pair of earrings. Aimee and Chris went to see a movie and returned in time for all of us to watch "Survivor" together. A nice evening was had by all.

As my friend told me the other day, "A mother is every child's first Valentine". I am going to take that to heart, along with all of the Chris-kisses and the box of Valentine Nerds that he gave me after school. I will happily share my spot if it means watching my son grow into a loving, caring man like his Dad.

Shanna

4 comments:

Team Immel said...

sounds like the perfect valentine's day! i can't imagine spencer in that situation! chris looks so grown up in his photo! even more so than when we saw him at disneyland in sept. score on the new purchases!

xoxo
shauna
ps. my boy needed to get glasses today. he's a total nerd now!!

Paris said...

Too cute! So glad my girl likes horses instead of boys ;) Great to talk to you the other day... miss you. Love, p

Anonymous said...

my goodness, Chris looks so grown up! Ok, so when I saw him last he was like, what, 9? so I guess he's allowed too and quite the looker cutie too! lol Was his g/f thrilled? Josh has one (a g/f I mean), they've been together 8 months now (it's getting serious lol), he was a little embarassed about V-day though as he's the only guy in the class with a g/f so laid pretty low on that one, just a homemade card, so cute! Hugs my friend :)

Nightscrapper said...

Ohhh, I'm not looking forward to when James pushes me aside for a girl!! I think I'll cry!

I love the pic of Chris. I can not believe he is so grown up. My goodness where did the time go? I love his hair too, so cool!

Love you friend!